[ Disclaimer, --- , ]
Note: All brewing information/numbers confirmed correct on p1999. Thanks to toddfx!
The Benefits Brewing by Aesop
The one book on brewing is an excellent guide for learning the skill to near mastery levels. Unlike most skills, this one was one I didn't even bother to put one point into (not even to "prime" the skill!). The same it true for alcohol tolerance, but it would seem the this skill isn't as useful as I thought it might be for a magician-- a few drinks and I've got the intelligence of an ape (and a dumb one at that)! However, I recognize that there are a few very potent elixirs one can mix for warriors (who have little use for intelligence in the heat of battle!) who can benefit much from the bonuses alcohol can give to them at high tolerance levels!
There is at least one recipe I know of for a brew that cannot be found in any tavern in Norrath (to the best of my knowledge!), and I know more will be found eventually. To date, it is not a very profitable skill to have, as the common brews one begins with can be had for far cheaper than they cost to make. This may change at a future date, and perhaps the harder-to-find or otherwise unfindable brews will make it a more profitable undertaking.
Basic Brewing Materials by Niami
You're going to need to locate several things, before you try brewing. First, you need recipes. The book you can buy so far is the "Brewer's Limericks" book. The only location found so far for this is Kaladim. (There is a quest in Halas/Everfrost for more advanced brewing recipes.) Then, you need a brew barrel. These can be found in pretty much every town. They are that odd things that look like a barrel with a hose leading from it to a white trashcan. Then you need containers for the finished product. Casks, bottles and the like can usually be found in inns and taverns. But wait, there's more. That's right - other ingredients. Some recipes will need ingredients that you can purchase at a few select shops in Norrath. Other recipes will requires foraged goodies, or creature loot (rat ears, snake scales and other such yummy stuff).
Ok, you've located everything and are ready to try. Wade through those Brewer's Limericks, try to translate them into the ingredients needed, pop them into the brew barrel, and press combine. (You can also take the easy way out and visit the recipes section of this site for recipes if you don't want to chase books all over.) If you fail, you will get back the bottle/cask, but you will lose all the other ingredients.
(Eggs that do not combine to make oils: wurm egg, giant hornet egg, griffon egg, basilik egg (looted version, not foraged), alligator eggs)
Velious Brewing ingredients are available off Blumblum Swigwater in Cobalt Scar. Please test to see if these are in game. Not sure if they are present, but the Othmir Algae Ale is required for several Velious baking recipes.
These can be used in place of water, and cannot be right-clicked like alcohol. Recipe details in this section unverified on p99.
|Juices and Teas|
|Flask of Berry Juice||2 Berries, Flask of Water||none||all "drink"||5||21|
|Flask of Fruit Juice||2 Fruit, Flask of Water||none||5||24|
|Flask of Karana Brown Tea||2 (foraged) Tea Leaves, Flask of Water||none||+1 sv poison||5||29|
|Flask of Orange Juice||2 Emerald Orange, Flask of Water||none||+1 sv disease||5||35|
|Flask of Rathe Berry Juice||2 Rathe Berries, Flask of Water||none||5||26|
|Flask of Sylvan Berry Juice||2 (foraged) Sylvan Berries, Flask of Water||none||+1 agi||5||29|
|Drake Egg Oil||Drake Egg, Flask of Water (Tanning Agent)||none||not drinkable||1||<=68|
|Snake Egg Oil||Snake Egg, Flask of Water||none||not drinkable||1||68|
|Aviak Egg Oil||Aviak Eggs, Flask of Water||none||not drinkable||1||102|
|Fish Oil||Fish Eggs, Flask of Water||none||not drinkable||1||68|
|(Eggs that do not combine to make oils: wurm egg, giant hornet egg, griffon egg, basilik egg (looted version, not foraged), alligator eggs)|
|Egg Nog||Spices, Malted Milk, 2x Aviak Eggs||bottle||"drink"||2||55|
|Flask of Water||4x (foraged) Pod of Water||bottle||normal||1||21|
|Malted Milk||Malt, Bottle of Milk (non-alcoholic drink)||bottle||"whistle wetter"||1||26|
|Root Beer Float||Stormguard Root Beer, Frosting, Chunk of Ice||none||"drink"||1||<=101|
|Vegetable Oil||(foraged) Vegetables, Flask of Water||none||not drinkable||1||102|
The following is intended as a guide for those interested in advancing brewing skills with a minimum of foraged items and running around. Qeynos and Freeport are excellent cities to learn in. With decent Int or Wis one can advance in this skill relatively quickly, just don't drink while you're brewing!
Don't train any points in this skill unless you just have some to spare. Snake scales are too easy to come by, and Bog Juice will take you to skill 21. Here's the progression (non-bold steps can be skipped if you are willing to fail a bit more often to avoid collecting items or dealing with casks that don't stack):
Antonica Biased Brewers
For Iksar Brewers
Note: You can easily acquire snakes scales and fish while leveling early on. If you work tailoring while you level, and fish during healing/medding time (yes, you can fish while medding), you can easily get to the point where your tailoring skill is just beginning to need the Heady Kiolas when you're at the skill level to start making them. Of course, if you save a stack of whatever you're brewing lately, you can keep your aclohol tolerance maxed as well. Cheers!
Final Note: Hero's brew trivial is 248 (when beginning to brew this at skill level 188, with 208 wisdom, I experienced 68 combines with no skill up. Bring your patience! - Wedar).
Brewing used in other Tradeskills
Brewing items for Cultural Blacksmithing and Tailoring can be made by any race.
|Blood Temper||1x Ogre Swill, 1x Elven Blood, 1x Human Blood, 1x Dwarven Blood||Ogre Smithing||135|
|Earthen Temper||1x Dwarven Ale, 1x Lava Rock, 2x Drop of Mercury||Dwarven Smithing||135|
|Frost Temper||1x Brandy, 2x Essence of Winter 1x Ice Goblin Blood||Barbarian Smithing||135|
|Moonlight Temper||1x Morning Dew, 1x Swirling Mist, 2x Essence of Moonlight||High/Woodelf Smithing||135|
|Royal Temper||1x Rain Water, 1x Griffenne Blood, 2x Essence of Sunlight||Human (Qeynos) Smithing||135|
|Scale Temper||1x Sarnak Blood, 1x Froglok Blood, 1x Iksar Blood, 1x Flask of Bloodwater||Iksar Smithing||135|
|Sea Temper||2x Mug of Sea Foam, 1x Saltwater Seaweed, 1x Fish Wine||Human (Freeport) Smithing||135|
|Shadow Temper||1x Elven Blood, 1x Neriak Nectar, 2x Essence of Shadow||Dark Elf Smithing||135|
Known locations for temper materials:
- Essence of Shadow: shadowed men (any zone that has them)
- Essence of Winter: ice giants (Permafrost and Everfrost), tundra yeti (Dreadlands)
- Essence of Moonlight: vampire-types in the castle of Mistmoore, dread wolves in Kithicor Forest
- Essence of Sunlight: found on Sand Giants in South Ro, the Squire in Upper Guk, and chromadracs in Skyfire
- Drop of Mercury: drops off various elementals (Steamfont, Najena, the Hole, etc.)
- Lava Rock: fire elementals (Steamfont, Najena, etc.), Fire Giants (Solusek B), skyash drake in Skyfire
- Elven Blood: off a variety of elves. For the faction-conscious, I recommend the bandits in Greater Faydark
- Sarnak Blood: found on various sarnaks in Kunark
- Froglok Blood: found off frogloks in Upper Guk, some frogoloks in Kunark
- Iksar Blood: various iksar, with spellcasting ones seeming more likely to drop it (i.e., iksar necromancers in Sebilis jail)
- Human Blood: found on humans. For the faction conscious, try bandits, dervish cutthroats, raiders, etc.
- Dwarven Blood: if you guessed from dwarves, you'd be correct! For the faction conscious, try the dvarven bandits in Butcherblock
- Ice Goblin Blood: from various ice gobbies in Permafrost/Everfrost
- Rain Water: escaped Splitpaw gnolls in South Karana, gnolls in Lake Rathe
- Morning Dew: foraged in Greater and Lesser Faydark at any time of the day, also some ground spawns in LFay
- Swirling Mist: found off steam elementals in Steamfont, mist elementals in Najena, "Huge Water Elemental" in LGuk
- Mug of Sea Foam: found on seafury cyclops in OOT
- Saltwater Seaweed: fished in OOT - this is a NO DROP item, whomever is doing the brewing for this must do the fishing for it as well
- Ogre Swill: sold at some booze merchants in Oggok and Freeport, possibly other locations as well
- Neriak Nectar: sold at some booze merchants in Neriak, probably other locations as well
- Dwarven Ale: sold at Pub Kal in Kaladim, probably other locations as well
- Flask of Bloodwater: sold at many merchants in Cabilis, also given out in some iksar newbie quests
- Fish Wine: sold at many booze merchants, can also be brewed
Tailoring Tanning Agents
Tanning agents are used for cultural and Velious Tailoring.
|Acorn Oil||Misty Acorn, Flask of Water||Halfling Tailoring||102|
|Oak Bark Tannin||Oak Bark, Flask of Water||Wood Elf Tailoring||102|
|Yew Leaf Tannin||Yew Leaf, Flask of Water||Velious Tailoring||68|
|Drake Egg Oil||Drake Egg, Flask of Water||Velious Tailoring||68|
|Cod Oil||Cobalt Cod, Flask of Water||Velious Tailoring||68|
|Snapper Oil||Dragon Bay Snapper, Flask of Water||Baking||150|
Known locations for tanning materials:
- Yew Leaf - ground spawn in Wakening Lands
- Drake Egg - foraged in Skyshrine, also rare drop off named drakes in Skyshrine
- Misty Acorn - ground spawn in Misty Thicket
- Oak Bark - foraged in Kithicor Forest, Warslik's Woods, ground spawn in Butcherblock
- Unbrewable Drinks - If you've maxed out your brew skill but are still itching for more, check out this list for an extended set of drinks to hunt and quest for.
- Poker Paintings - A collection of the most prominent taverns of Norrath, defined by the unique wall decor that unite them.