[ Disclaimer, --- , ]
|Classes:||All (Enchanter, Rogue, Bard)|
|Related Zones:||Ocean of Tears, Rivervale, Qeynos|
Note: Unless you're an enchanter with the benefit of faction spells and illusions, this quest may be a bit time consuming. Non-evil bards and rogues can use the Mask of Deception to enter Oggok unharmed.
The introduction of this quest is in Oggok, but it is not necessary:
You say, 'Hail, Clurg'
- Clurg says, 'Hello. friend. Have a drink. I have some [unique drinks]. Try one. And remember. You get rowdy. the [Bouncers] crush you.'
You say, 'What unique drinks?'
- Clurg says, 'I have been all over Norrath and even served with some very great [barkeeps in Freeport].I am the creator of the[Flaming Clurg] and Ogre Swill.'
You say, 'What barkeeps in Freeport?'
- Clurg says, 'Yes. I have journeyed to many taverns, but it was in Freeport where I acquired most of my art. I compiled all my drinks in a [special book].'
You say, 'What special book?'
- Clurg says, 'I compiled all my drinks into one book. I lost this book while in Freeport. No doubt that some barkeep is experimenting with it. I would pay greatly for the return of my Barkeep Compendium.'
See Gregor Nasin in Freeport:
You say, 'Hail, Gregor Nasin'
- Gregor Nasin says, 'Sit down and name your poison! I know we are lacking in originality. but I intend to create some [exotic drinks].'
You say, 'What exotic drinks?'
- Gregor Nasin says, 'Interested in exotic drinks. are we? I am attempting to create some of these drinks I read about in this book I found. It was called the [Barkeep's Compendium]. I will first need to get my hands on a few [exotic ingredients].'
You say, 'What barkeep's compendium?'
- Gregor Nasin says, 'I found the book amongst some garbage littering the ground in Freeport East. It appears to have been created by an ogre named [Clurg]. I am sure he wants it returned. but I will never part with it. That is... unless I get a few [exotic ingredients] I need to experiment with.'
You say, 'Who is Clurg?'
- Gregor Nasin says, 'I do not know. Ask an ogre. Maybe they have heard of him.'
You say, 'What exotic ingredients?'
- Gregor Nasin says, 'I desire a [kiola nut]. [Erud's Tonic]. [honey jum] and a [Koalindl fish]. If I could get those. I would no longer need to hold on to the [Barkeep's Compendium]. Whoever returned the ingredients to me could have it!!'
- Kiola Nut(purchased on the island of Erollisi in the Ocean of Tears for 2 gold pieces.)Kiola Nut
WT: 0.5 Size: SMALL
- Erud's Tonic(NO TRADE item that results from the Erud's Tonic quest.)Erud's Tonic
LORE ITEM NO DROP
WT: 0.4 Size: SMALL
- Honey Jumfrom Rivervale (droppable item that results from the Honey Jum quest.)Honey Jum
WT: 0.2 Size: SMALL
- Koalindl Fishfrom the lake in the Temple of Life in Qeynos (NO TRADE item).Koalindl Fish
LORE ITEM NO DROP
WT: 0.1 Size: TINY
You can get the fish one of a few ways: You can do The Regurgitonic Quest in Ak'Anon and give the tonic to Frostbite the dog in West Karana (who coughs up a fish). You can also kill Frostbite (at the expense of your Halas faction). Or you can kill koalindl fish below the Temple of Life in Qeynos (major faction hits with the Priests of Life).
Hand him the ingredients:
- Gregor Nasin says, 'Now I have every ingredient mentioned in the Barkeep Compendium. Here. You take it. <..click!.> Whoops!! I just closed it. It's magically sealed, I never closed it before. It's useless to you. I have no need for it any longer. Maybe you can return it to [Clurg] for some type of reward.'
You gain experience!! (Negligible at level 12)
- You get the Barkeep Compendium.
Take the Compendium to Clurg. If you're KOS in Oggok, you'll need to do faction work beforehand. Ogre or Dark Elf illusions coupled with a faction spell will also work, provided your faction isn't too low. (Note: Dark elf illusion is good enough to get agnostic rogues and enchanters into Oggok on P1999 unless you have been killing ogres)
- Clurg says, 'My book!! I never thought I'd see it again. Here, take this with my thanks.'
You gain experience!! (A fraction of a blue bubble at level 12)You receive the
Level 12 Agnostic Erudite Enchanter's Solo Walk-Through
The first attempt at completing this quest is time consuming, especially if you are doing this totally solo. It is fairly easy, with very little chance of failure or death if you are not reckless. Almost everything in the Dark Elf's guide below is true for an Erudite, albeit in reverse when it come to faction concerns. This guide assumes that the Enchanter has made it to the East Freeport Docks and has all spells including level 12.
- Stage 1: Bind in Freeport somewhere. Go to the Seafarer's Roost and buy an Innoruuk's Kiss of Death from Gregor Nasin (right at behind the bar at the door, can't miss him). Take the boat to Ocean of Tears, do not get off on the first stop, get off on the second stop. Buy Kiola Nuts (buy many if you intend to repeat this quest) from Cleonae Kalen who is easily found in a building near the dock. Gate back to your bind in Freeport, and run to the East Commonlands Tunnel.
- Stage 2: From the East Commonlands Tunnel, get Spirit of the Wolf and any other buffs you think you will need. Make sure you have Invisibility memorized. Cast Invisibility on yourself and run from East Commonlands to West Commonlands to Kithicor Forest. Enter Kithicor Forest during the day (if it is night, wait at the zone line). Kill Bixies (a Bixie) in Kithicor Forest until you get three Honeycombs (about 12-15 kills). Enter Rivervale (do not worry about faction unless you know you have ruined your Rivervale faction somehow), and head for the bank, which is a castle looking structure behind the Priest of Discord. Get 30GP (gold) from the bank and drop off your extra Kiola Nuts (keep one). Find Kizzie Mintopp in a burrow not very far from the bank and give her the 30GP and three Honeycombs, and receive the Honey Jum. At this point, if you can get Spirit of the Wolf and/or a port to one of the Karana zones, it would be a big help, but not necessary (and not likely to be found here).
You can also buy this in Erudin, opposite to the Library where the tonic girl is. So after you get the honey yum it is easier to gate back, go to tunnel and get a port to Toxx, and pick up your tonic then boat to qeynos for the fish. Saves quite a bit of time
- Stage 3: Cast Invisibility on yourself and enter Kithicor Forest during the day (or night if you dare) and run right hugging the zone border until you find the zone entrance to Highpass Hold. Enter Highpass Hold, but make sure Invisibility is on and keep an eye on it! For a Level 12 Enchanter, this is probably the most dangerous part of quest and it is not that dangerous if you don't so something stupid. Most likely you've been to Highpass Keep to get your animation spells, run there now. If you can get Spirit of the Wolf here, grab it, otherwise with Invisibility up, head north to East Karana from the Keep entrance and look for the purplish walls. You can't really get lost, but you can go in circles, check a map for guidance. At East Karana run down from the mountains to the giant bridge, avoiding the bandit towers on the way down. Make sure to keep Invisibility up. Cross the giant bridge into North Karana and head straight across the zone to West Karana (pretty safe with Invisibility up). From West Karana, make the long run to Qeynos Hills avoiding any undead along the way, it is easiest to run straight through the middle (look for the vague road and avoid the bandits), but if you are unfamiliar with West Karana, stay near the shore line until you pass the farms and avoid everything. From Qeynos Hills head to the left as you exit the canyon entrance to Qeynos. In Qeynos go the the Temple of Life and camp out at the poolside. If you happen to be carrying a Bronze or Fine Steel weapon that you are willing the throw away, drop it here.
- Stage 4: Create an alt Warrior on the The Prime Healer faction (throw all of the points into stamina). He will spawn in Qeynos pretty close to the Temple of Life. Pick up the weapon (if any) or equip the default weapon and kill a Koalindl until the fish can be looted (about 50%). The Koalindl that spawns in the center of the pool is easiest to deal with, however, the fight is not a push over and you may die several times with no skills at level 1 and a default weapon. Definitely keep your eye on roving guards around the pool, if you try to fight the Koalindl that swims on the pools edge. Keep in mind that the Koalindl will not follow you to kill you. They will disengage and continue swimming if you do not hit within a short period. When the Koalindl Fish can be looted, camp the Warrior out and log your Enchanter back on. You will be able to loot the Koalindl Fish after a few minutes, so no real hurry. Make your way to the Qeynos docks and wait for the boat to Erudin. Take the boat to Erudin, and head to the third floor of the library. Find Sinnkin Highbrow, give her the Innoruuk's Kiss of Death, and receive an Erud's Tonic. Gate back to your bind in Freeport.
- The Final Stage: Go to the Seafarer's Roost and give Gregor Nasin the Kiola Nut, Honey Jum, Koalindl Fish, and Erud's Tonic and receive the Barkeep Compendium. Once again, run to the East Commonlands Tunnel and get Spirit of the Wolf, at least. With Invisibility up, run through the Northern Desert of Ro, Oasis of Marr, and Southern Desert of Ro to Innothule Swamp, avoiding any undead (be especially careful in South Ro). At Innothule Swamp, make your way right to The Feerrott. Once you enter The Feerrott, this is a good time to cast Illusion: Dark Elf (you may also recast Invisibility). Run west north west to Oggok and enter the zone. Find Clurg around area 17 of the Oggok map, give him the Barkeep Compendium, and receive the Stein of Moggok. Gate back to your bind in Freeport. Congratulations!
Dark Elf's Guide to Obtaining the Stein of Moggok
This a complete, step by step guide to obtaining the Stein with a Dark Elf Enchanter of 8th level or higher. You must have these spells to successfully pull it off: Alliance, Illusion: Human, Invisibility. You will also need a friend willing to help you out, perhaps in return for you getting a stein for him or her later. This guide assumes you will NOT be getting any teleports.
- Step 1: From Neriak, run to East Freeport and go to the Seafarer's Roost AFTER 7pm game time.Otherwise there will be an ogre there named Bronto Thudfoot who will kill you swiftly.Buy an Innoruuk's Kiss of Death from the bartender Gregor for about 8 silver. Bind or get yourself bound in East Freeport while you're here, you'll be coming back. If you bind right out of the South Gate (heading toward North Ro) you'll be fine as dark elves aren't KOS in East Freeport, not to the guards anyway. At the same time you're doing this, have your friend create a mule character in Freeport, give him 1 plat and have him hop the boat to the sister island in OOT. There he can buy (for the 1 plat) 4 Kiola nuts, which will be good for 4 stein attempts. After you get the get Kiss of Death, hop the boat yourself and make sure to jump off the boat and swim to the island before you get to the docks, since dark elves are KOS there. [EDITORS NOTE: Dark elf Enchanters are NOT KOS even for Innoruuk believer, and can purchase the nuts, with Wood Elf Illusion.] Once you get the nuts, Gate back to East Freeport.
- Step 2: Leave East Freeport and head west to Rivervale. Ask along the way for a SoW. You'll probably get one since most people who can SoW are kind enough to give you one, especially if you donate between 5 gold and 2 plat, don't be cheap. While you're running to Rivervale,have your friend create a new halfling mule and go out into Misty Thicket and attack bixies until he has 3 honeycombs (getting some levels in the process, warrior is the best choice for a mule). Note - bixies are more readily available in Kithicor than in Misty Thicket, but make sure you're there during the day (in in-game time; use the /time command to check). When you get to Rivervale, meet him right at the zone to Kithicor and give him 3 plat. He'll take it to the bank and get it changed to 30 gold. When he gives 30 gold and 3 honeycombs to Kizzie Mintopp, in the burrow across from the Fool's Gold, he'll get Honey Jum, which he gives to you. Or you can do it yourself with illusion up.
- Step 3: Run run run to Qeynos. This is the boring part and a good time to practice Sense Heading.Stick with the shorelines when you get to the Karanas, it's longer but much safer, especiallyfor an 8th level enchanter. While you're running to Qeynos have your friend make a warrior in Qeynos with Rodcet Nife as his or her diety (This is important). They can get to 2nd or 3rd level while you run over.
- Step 4: When you get to North Qeynos, cast Human Illusion and head to the Temple of Life compound. Buff your friend's mule and have him jump in the pool and kill a fish. Don't kill the fish near the far end or the paladin will wipe up the floor with him in one hit. Since the warrior mule is a Rodcet Nife follower, he'll start with higher faction with them so he'll be able to kill quite a few fish before he is KOS to them (I said it was important).Once he kills a fish with a corpse, wait to loot the corpse and grab it. Voila, one fish corpse and no bad faction hits. If you're a 12th or higher enchanter you can cast Enduring Breath so you and the mule can stay underwater all the time, which helps a lot. This is the last you'll need your friend, so thank him/her profusely.
- Step 5: Cast invisibility on yourself before zoning, since illusions run out when you zone. Recast Human illusion right at the zone, then head for the docks. Wait for the boat to Erudin and take it when it gets there. The boat will stop at the Cat Island in Erud's Crossing, but don't worry, dark elves aren't KOS to the cat folk.
- Step 6: When you get to Erudin hop off the boat, don't take the ferry cause you can't cast while on it. In the water recast Human illusion and Invisibility (there is usually at least one level 20-ish shark in the harbor, so you'll want to be invis) and swim to shore. Run to the teleport pad, which will zip you over to the other side WITHOUT zoning (so your illusion will hold). Run over to the Erudin Library. Cast invisibility again if it has run out, and run up to the 3rd floor of the library. Give the Innoruuk's Kiss of Death to Sinnkin with illusion: Human on, and get the Erud's Tonic in return. Gate back to East Freeport.
- Step 7: Go back to the Seafarer's Roost AFTER 6pm. Cast Human Illusion before going in. When you get in, cast Alliance on Gregor and give him the 4 items (Kiola Nut, Erud's Tonic, Honey Jum, Fish Corpse)(Note: As of October 2013, Alliance is bugged on P99 and has a chance to resist and cause aggro, which is very likely to happen if you're doing the quest at low level. An agnostic enchanter using Human Illusion in Freeport will be able to turn the quest in to Gregor without Alliance. He conned amiable in my test.). He will give you 1 to 4 plat and the Bartender's Compendium. NOTE: Do not give the 4 items to him one at a time. He will not give you the reward if you do that!
- Step 8: Leave East Freeport and run down through the desert of Ro (North, Oasis, South) to Innothule Swamp. Run to Feerrott from there, and then to Oggok (more Sense Heading practice). Stick to the shoreline in North Ro and Oasis, and the west wall in South Ro and be careful of undead in South Ro since your invisibility won't fool them. You are safe in Innothule, Feerrott and Oggok.
- Step 9: Once in Oggok, run to the end of the city where the tavern is. You want to be your normal dark elf self for this, you're not KOS in Oggok but the merchants might not sell to you. Go into the tavern, cast Alliance on Clurg and give him the book (Note: As of October 2013, Alliance is bugged on P99 and has a chance to resist and cause aggro, which is very likely to happen if you're doing the quest at low level. An agnostic enchanter using Dark Elf Illusion in Oggok will be able to turn the quest in to Clurg without Alliance. He conned indifferent in my test.). You should get the stein in return. You can also get the froglok meat shipment from Chef Dooga (again, Alliance her first) to take back to the Gobbler in Neriak (Note: As of October 2013, Chef Dooga has no dialogue or froglok meat quest on P99). Gate back to East Freeport, and head for home.