[ Disclaimer, --- , ]
A compendium of items which were briefly obtainable in ones adventures, but which were never seen again. This list also includes nerfed items, that were considered overpowered. More often than not they were deemed overly powerful or game changing by the forces that be, and so were removed. In some cases the change was retroactive, but typically not, making these items some of the most sought after in the game.
Note: see this thread: []
- Box of Abu-Kar
- Fanged Skull Stiletto
- Rubicite Armor
- Scimitar of the Mistwalker
- Thex Dagger
- BladeStorm, Katana of Steel Sleet
- Cryosilk Robe
- Guise of the Deceiver
- Lustrous Russet Armor
- Ring of the Dead
- Plane of Fear and Plane of Hate revamps in Velious - any items removed?
- Fungus Covered Great Staff - originally this right-click group-targetable Fungal Regrowth effect could be cast by anyone from an inventory slot. Especially powerful for Necromancers, among others. Replaced with Fungi Covered Great Staff which require it be equipped. to cast - in effect, making it usable by only Druids and Shamans. (ref)
- Gem Encrusted Ring - no longer drops.
- Locket of Escape - allowed any class, including melee, to bind anywhere that a caster could normally bind themselves. Particularly useful for binding in the Timorous Deep firepot room, as well as in the Plane of Mischief. Removed from the game a few days after the release of Kunark.
- Robe of Living Fungus - the regeneration effect on the robe was removed retroactively approximately six weeks after the release of Kunark. The only worn Fungal Regrowth armor then becomes Fungus Covered Scale Tunic. (ref)
- Totem of the Wizened Spirits - no longer drops, replaced by Totem of the Warrior Spirit.
- Barbed Scale Whip - similar to the twig this 4/11 weapon is extremely powerful with the main hand damage bonus. Originally PRI/SEC, nerfed to offhand only (8/13/11 patch) and later the drop was replaced with a 8/22 whip named Scale Hide Whip.
- Blade of the Black Dragon Eye - deemed too powerful to drop from reets in Old Sebilis. Moved to Veeshan's Peak as Sword of the Shissar and replaced in Sebilis with Blade of the Green Dragon Eye (ref).
- Brokenskull Club - no longer drops.
- Mosscovered Twig - super low delay made it extremely powerful due to the mainhand damage bonus. Made offhand only (8/13/11 patch). Later drop changed to Mosscovered Branch.
- Polyphenomenal Axe - no longer drops.
- Ringed Mace of the Ykesha - no longer drops.
- Rod of Annihilation - removed from the game (ref).
- Rod of Mourning - 29/36 two hand blunt removed from the game, replaced by the 25/36 Rod of Lamentation (ref).
- Runed Fighters Staff - the damage/delay ratio coupled with the low delay and 2H damage bonus was deemed overly powerful, particularly in the hands of monks. Replaced with the Imbued Fighters Staff which doubles both the damage and delay.
- Ton Po's Bo Stick of Understanding - removed from the game. Only one known to have dropped. (ref1, ref2)
- Warding Star - no longer drops. Moved to Veeshan's Peak as Star of the Guardian and replaced in Howling Stones with Guardians Mace
- Circlet of Shadow - the instant cast invis coupled with Feign Death enables some rather powerful strategies. Replaced with Circlet of Shadows with a five second cast time. Changed occurs ~6 months after Velious release.
- Donal's Chestplate of Mourning - Complete Heal effect nerfed in Velious and eventually removed (further details to be added).
- Earring of Grachnist
- Any Chardok pre-revamp items?
- Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher
- Holgresh Elder Beads - sought after by Monks (pulling) and Necros (can lifetap), stops dropping and replaced by Holgresh Grand Vizier Beads (Effect: Identify) on ~Jul 2001.
- Ornate Velium Pendant - stops dropping and replaced by item of the same name but with a limited number of charges approximately 4 months after Velious release.
Items from Sleeper's Tomb removed after the Sleeper is woken:
- Blue Resistance Stone
- Clawed Guardian Bracer
- Dainty Gloves
- Dragon Scaled Mask
- Green Resistance Stone
- Mask of Tinkering
- Red Resistance Stone
- Salindrite Dagger
- Sceptre of Destruction
- Shield of the Clawed Guardian
- Shroud of Longevity
- Staff of the Elder Claws
- Staff of the Morning Dew
- White Resistance Stone
- Writ of Dragonkind
Note: all Primal Weapons still drop, although less often from Master of the Guard, The Progenitor, and The Final Arbiter. Also, see Essence Lens Quest.
Also, here is a list of retroactively nerfed items, from this thread: []
Robe of Living Fungus - Hole Deepwater Helm - Epics Wurmslayer - Epics Burning Rapier - Kunark Barbed Scale Whip - Epics Mosscovered Twig - Epics Terror Forged Mask - Kunark Efreeti Standard - Epics Ragebringer - 2 weeks after Epics (October00) Bixie Sword Blade - Epic Revamps Incarnadine Breastplate - Epic Revamps Singing Steel Boots - Epic Revamps Singing Steel Greaves - Epic Revamps Gunthak Harpoon - Hole Imbued Granite Spauldors - November01 Antonican Javelins - July 2001 Donal's Chestplate of Mourning e.1.0 - Velious Donal's Chestplate of Mourning e.2.0 - Feb2001 Wurmslayer e.2.0 - Feb2001 Quivers haste - May2001